Canada Experience Class: Your Pathway to Permanent Residency

🗳️ What is the Canada Experience Class and How Does it Work?

The Canada Experience Class (CEC) is a permanent residence program for foreign workers with Canadian work experience. The program aims to fast-track the immigration process for these workers, who are already familiar with Canadian society and the Canadian workplace. 

If their application is successful, candidates will receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document, which they will need to present when they arrive in Canada as a permanent resident.

Quick Links:

💯 The Benefits of Applying for the Canada Experience Class

There are numerous benefits of applying for the CEC, including:

Simplified application process compared to other PR programs


No need for a job offer in order to be eligible

Priority processing of applications


Potential exemption from requirement to obtain a labor market impact assessment

Additionally, as CEC applicants are already working and living in Canada, they generally have a much easier time adapting to life in the country and integrating into the workforce. This helps ensure that they are able to quickly contribute to the Canadian economy and society.

📥 How to Apply for the Canada Experience Class

In order to be eligible for the Canada Experience Class, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) professional work experience in Canada in a skilled occupation within the last three years before you apply;
  • You must have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least a one-year diploma or degree; AND, within the last three years before you apply, have gained at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) professional work experience in Canada in a skilled occupation.
  • Skilled occupations are classified as 0, A or B on the National Occupational Classification list. To find out if your occupation is on this list, consult Using the National Occupational Classification system.
  • You must meet the required language levels for your occupation for each official language. Language requirements
  • You must plan to live outside of the province of Quebec. The Government of Quebec has its own permanent selection program for immigrants and selects its own candidates for immigration to Quebec
  1. After confirming your eligibility, you will need to gather the necessary documents for your CEC application. These documents may include your passport, language test results, educational credentials, and proof of work experience.

The CEC is a part of the Express Entry system, which is an online application process that manages applications for permanent residency. You will need to create an Express Entry profile on the Government of Canada website, where you will provide your personal information, work experience, language test results, and other details.

After submitting your Express Entry profile, you will receive a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score based on your skills and experience. If your CRS score is high enough, you will receive an ITA to apply for permanent residency.

Once you receive an ITA, you will need to submit your CEC application within 60 days. This involves filling out an application form, uploading your documents, and paying the application fee.

After submitting your CEC application, you will need to wait for a decision from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The processing time for CEC applications can vary, but the IRCC website provides up-to-date processing times for each program.

❌ Common Mistakes to Avoid When Applying for the Canada Experience Class

If you’re planning on applying for the Canada Experience Class (CEC), there are a few common mistakes that you’ll want to avoid. Here are four of the most common mistakes that applicants make:

🆚 Canada Experience Class vs. Federal Skilled Worker Program: Which Is Right for You?

The CEC is for skilled workers with Canadian work experience. The FSWP is for skilled workers with foreign work experience. If you have both, you may be eligible for both programs. But you can only apply to one program at a time.

When deciding between the two programs, it’s important to consider your specific circumstances and qualifications. If you have already settled in Canada and have work experience here, the CEC may be the right option for you. However, if you have yet to arrive in Canada but possess the skills and qualifications that are in demand, the FSWP may be a better fit.

Both programs have their own unique eligibility requirements, application processes, and benefits, so it’s important to do your research and consult with a Canadian immigration expert to determine which one is right for you. Ultimately, the program that is best for you will depend on your individual goals, qualifications, and circumstances.

Overall, Canada Experience Class provides a great opportunity for foreign nationals looking to become permanent residents. If you meet the criteria, it is an ideal way to gain Canadian experience and also apply for Permanent Residence in one smooth step. The key is understanding how the program works and making sure that you have all of the necessary documents ready when applying. Good luck!

✉️ Join Our

Be among the first to discover the latest news and updates about Canada immigration!

🥳 You're in! Check your inbox

Your first Be a Canadian newsletter is on the way! Make sure to check the spam folder and add us to your contact list, to not miss any newsletter.